Thursday, August 16, 2007

ESPN Zone Interviews Church

By Michael Phillips, MLB.com


WASHINGTON -- RYAN CHURCH's appearance at ESPN Zone had been scheduled weeks in advance, but it couldn't have worked out much better than it did on Thursday.
During Wednesday night's game, Church launched a home run into the upper deck of RFK Stadium, his 10th of the season. Sure enough, the first question he received Thursday was about the home run.


"That time I got it," he said. "You can always tell, it comes pretty light off your bat, and that's a good feeling."


Church was the participant in a monthly series in which notable Nats take questions from fans during the lunch hour at the Washington ESPN Zone. Judging by the fans' response, Church was also the most popular. Before he took the stage, every table in the room had filled. That didn't deter the dozens of people who stood in the waiting area to watch the event.


Radio broadcaster Charlie Slowes moderated as fans asked Church questions on a variety of topics.
Question: What was it like to be standing in left field when Barry Bonds hit his 756th home run?
Church: I'm never going to forget that moment. To be able to say I was there and I saw it, and in the stands; I was actually in left field, and that's the same position Barry plays. I was honored to stand on the same grass. We haven't been in the playoffs, so I don't know what that atmosphere is like, but I think that was probably a playoff atmosphere. I don't even remember seeing the ball in flight because of all the flashes that were popping. I just heard the crack of the bat. It's something I can tell my kids and grandkids, and they'll continue to play it on TV like they did with Hank Aaron's. It was something pretty special.


Question: When I was growing up, the season began in mid-to-late April. Now it starts in late March, which can create weather problems. What do you think about that?
Church: It's global warming (laughter). We have 162 games, so you can't really fault anybody for the scheduling. It's tough because there are so many teams on the East Coast, and that time of year it's freezing, and there's nothing you can do with mother nature. Unless we all pack up and go West, there's really nothing you can do. As a ballplayer, you've just got to put on as many layers as you can and wait for the sun to come and heat you up.


Question: Three of the next four starting pitchers you're going to face are left-handed. How do you prepare for that?
Church: Most lefties that are starters are crafty. They're not going to blow you away with speed, but they have good sliders and curveballs. I think the biggest thing for me is to not try to pull the ball. I try to go over the shortstop and drive the ball into the left-center gap. The biggest thing for us is that if the pitcher does make mistakes, you've got to do something with it. We can't leave guys on base. If we've got the chance to move a guy over, we've got to do that. We've got to take full advantage of every opportunity we get.


Question: In 2005, you swung at a lot of breaking balls, but have made big improvements since then. What did you do to work on that?
Church: The biggest thing for me is laying off the low stuff, because everybody's got a way they're going to pitch to you. If I chase, they'll continue pounding that spot. I want to make sure everything's up. That allows me to stay up and swing off my front foot. It also helps when you've got coaches in the dugout yelling at you to stay off that stuff.


Question: Growing up in California, what team did you root for?
Church: I was actually a Giants fan. My favorite player was Will Clark, until he was traded to the Rangers. My older brother was a Dodgers fan, so we used to go after it and battle -- brother stuff. I actually got to meet Will Clark in 2001 in Hickory, North Carolina, at an All-Star game where he was the guest speaker. It was special. I still am a Giants fan, but I have to keep it on the inside.


Question: What's your favorite ballpark to play in?
Church: That would have to be Cincy or Philly (Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia). They both have really short fences and the ball flies well.


Question: How excited is the team for the opening of the new ballpark next year, and how does it affect the players?
Church: It's just the excitement that it's going to bring, because nobody ever played there before, and we are going to have that opportunity. I was just over there during the last homestand and got a tour of the place, and just wait until you see it. It's going to be spectacular. I think it's going to be one of the best parks out there. Especially for the Minor League guys, they'll have something to look forward to. That's their cathedral. That's where they want to get to. I think when the fans come out there and pack it, that's really going to be something to see.


Question: Watching the team sign its top 20 Draft picks, how important is that to have a good farm system?
Church: I think the biggest thing is that they always said they wanted to restock and replenish the farm system. I think it's true when [general manager] Jim Bowden says there are arms down there and they're coming sooner rather than later. I think there's some can't-miss guys that you're going to be seeing in the next couple years, and we're looking forward to learning how to play and win together.


Question: You showed good patience at the plate earlier this season. Is that something you've learned how to use to your advantage?
Church: I'm trying to get back to that. Manny [Acta] last month mentioned something to me about what my batting average was in certain counts, and it's important at this level. These guys have game plans; they're going to pitch you certain ways. It's about laying off stuff and being patient and waiting for your pitch. Lately, I'm getting back to where I was at the beginning of the year. A big part of success at this level is being a patient hitter.


Question: What kind of exercises do you do before the game?
Church: We have a team stretch before batting practice, but for me personally we have our own team masseuse, with the shiatsu massage. I want to be able to run out there every day and avoid injury, so I get stretched out and make sure I stretch after the game. The main thing is about 20 minutes before the game I go out to the field and run a couple sprints.


Question: Does it bother you to hear your name mentioned with trade rumors?
Church: That's something that as players, we can't control. It's just like the media, when they write something bad you've just got to brush it off. For me personally, I just want to finish strong this year. It's up to the front office, all I can do is make it hard on them.


Question: What's the Nationals clubhouse like?
Church: Dmitri [Young] comes in there and is a big teddy bear. He always has a smile on his face, and if you're having a bad day he'll cheer you up. [Ronnie] Belliard is the same way. We're just one big unit and that's how we go out and play. It's a big thing. If you have stuff going on with guys fighting, we saw in 2005 the team will start lose that unity. We have it; we're all a tight-knit group and we're having fun.


Question: What do you do in the offseason?
Church: Golf (laughter). I just take a month off, then start hitting the weights, throwing and hitting. But yeah, I play a lot of golf.


Question: What's it like facing Tom Glavine and John Smoltz?
Church: Those are two names I grew up watching. I was a big fan of the Braves when I was a kid, too. It's a great feeling to step into the batter's box against those guys and be able to say that I did that. It's even nicer if I can say I got a home run off of them.


Michael Phillips is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

No comments: