Monday, February 25, 2008

Schmidt Sets Two National Swim Marks



Not Deterred by Rainstorm


JURGEN SCHMIDT, Lompoc’s relentlessly modest 85-year-old swim master, made his first splash in the pool since his birthday a memorable one Saturday.


At the Janet Evans Aquatic Complex in Fullerton, amidst a driving wind and rain storm, Schmidt shattered two national age-group records. It was his first swim in his new 85-89 age group.


Illustrating his versatility for all to see, one record was in a distance event distance and one was in a sprint.

“It was raining. It was cold. It was terrible,” Schmidt laughed Monday. “They had tents sent up with propane heaters for the fans. If I had any sense I would not swim, but I was psyched up. I thought, ‘Well, I’m just going to go for it’”


Schmidt was in the next-to-last lap of the 1650 freestyle when he heard the PA announcer tell the fans his age and the fact he was on track for a new record. “The fans got into it. I could hear them rooting for me,” Schmidt recalls with a chuckle.


He got his record by clocking 29:12.63. The old record for 85-9 year-olds was 30:29.58. It had stood since 2001. “I think I can do better,” Schmidt thought after taking his bows.


After a break and a recreational 50 breast with no new record, Schmidt went after the 100 Individual Medley record… and got it too.


“My butterfly felt great and I hit the wall well,” Schmidt observed as he hit his marks.


His time, 1:45.51, was a full second faster than the previous mark for the age group which had stood since 1999--1:46.51.


“I think I can do better in that one too. Last year I had a 1:38.42.” But last year he was not yet 85 and his time was not a record in the 80-4 age group.


Schmidt is in uncharted waters with Saturday’s times. No one in the nation has ever achieved such marks at his age, but he refuses to be swept away by fame. “Frank (Piemme) will probably break them in two years,” he chuckled about his workout partner who is two years younger. “But I’m going to enjoy them for now.”


Seizing the moment, Schmidt will try to better the 100 IM time quickly—in two weeks at the Cal Tech Pentathlon.

No comments: