Wednesday, August 13, 2008

BOO 10-for-14 in Scrum


BOO STARS IN BOBCATS' FIRST SCRIMMAGE
ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio University football team took part in its first full-contact scrimmage of fall camp on Tuesday afternoon, contesting 83 plays over approximately two hours of action.

Junior quarterback BOO JACKSON and sophomore wide receiver Terrence McCrae hooked up for three touchdowns, including a 54-yard catch and run during which the latter eluded several tackles, to headline the day on offense.
Jackson completed 10-of-14 passes for 192 yards and three touchdowns on the day, while McCrae finished with four catches for 106 yards and those three scores.

Junior quarterback Theo Scott also had a productive day on Tuesday, tacking 105 rushing yards onto a 6-of-10 passing day that also saw him throw for a score. Classmate Josh Febus connected on 7-of-12 attempts for 108 yards on the afternoon, while fellow junior signalcaller Brandon Jones hit on 6-of-9 passes for 77 yards.

Head coach Frank Solich---
On the Bobcats' success through the air on Tuesday: "I need to take a look at the film, but we seemed to throw the ball pretty well. All of our quarterbacks made some plays throwing the ball, and they scrambled for nice gains, which we expect to see this year. The wide receivers, for the most part, did a good job of catching the ball. A couple wide receivers broke tackles, and Terrence McCrae had a couple of nice plays. There were some great individual efforts, but we need to start combining that into a unit of 11 players.

On junior quarterback Theo Scott's big running day during the scrimmage: His speed is really at a high level right now. He was fast when he came to campus, but I think he's gotten a little faster. When he runs, he's capable of making a big play.

Junior quarterback Boo Jackson---
On his performance during Tuesday's scrimmage: "I don't know what it is, but I feel comfortable out there. I must be more of a game-time player than a practice player. Throughout fall camp, I've been missing a little bit, but today I was basically right on with all my throws. I just felt comfortable in the scrimmage, I guess."

On the offense creating big plays during the session: "I threw three touchdowns, and they were all to Terrence (McCrae). During this fall camp, I probably hadn't hit him once. He had an amazing run on that one score, and he fought for one on a jump ball. He was great. Theo (Scott) was great with his legs, too. He's probably the fastest guy on our team. He was running for 30 or 40 yards and no one could catch him. Josh Febus played as well today as I've ever seen. We've got a bunch of big-time players here this year."

On his comfort level in Ohio's offense: "The more I practice, the more I get used to the offense. In the spring, I got off to a slow start, but I finally got into it in the first scrimmage. Now that we're in fall camp, I was struggling a little but once we got to the first scrimmage I felt good. It just takes time to get used to the offense and get a rhythm, so when we get a break, I like to get back as soon as possible."

Sophomore wide receiver Terrence McCrae---
"On his chemistry with quarterback Boo Jackson: We did a lot of passing during the summer and got a good feel for each other. It feels natural. He throws nice balls, and places them where I can get them, so I feel like we're a good fit for each other."

No comments: