Tuesday, September 9, 2008

BOO OVERCOMES JITTERS AT OHIO STATE


FACES DOWN BUCKEYES

Taking over as visiting quarterback midstream in the massive home stadium at Ohio State was a bit different from Huyck Stadium, admitted BOO JACKSON Saturday.

Jackson entered the contest in the second quarter after starting quarterback Theo Scott was injured. He led his team on an 11-play 72-yard drive to take a halftime lead of 7-6 and his Ohio Bobcats held the lead through the third quarter before falling 26-14. The last time the two teams played, in 1999, the score was 40-16. OU has never defeated the Buckeyes who are currently ranked #3 in the nation.

Jackson acquitted himself reasonably well considering there were 105,002 Buckeye fans in the stands. He completed nine of 25 passes for 86 yards including one for 30. He ran seven times for 55 and was Ohio’s second leading runner. And he avoided giving up a sack. On the negative side he was intercepted three times.

Jackson told the OU sports information staff he was taken aback for just a moment. “Going in against the big Buckeyes, I was a little intimidated at first, but once I got set in the pocket I thought `the (offensive line’s) got my back, I got their back.' Once I stepped up in the pocket I could run out and find some receivers. The line’s play was outstanding."

After his initial jitters the crowd even helped him, Jackson said. "There's a big rush coming out there playing at the Horseshoe. Once I stepped on the field, I see the thousands of people screaming and it got my blood going. I'm the kind of guy that thrives on that thing. Once I got in there, I just wanted to shine."

Ohio head coach Frank Solich said he had no qualms about inserting Jackson. "We have a lot of confidence in Boo. He's had great practices not only in the fall camp, but in spring ball. He has really progressed offensively in what we're doing. There's not a coach or player on our team that doesn't believe in him or his ability to get the job done."

The Bobcats lost a cliffhanger to Wyoming in their opener with Scott at the controls. They open Mid America Conference action on Saturday opposite Central Michigan. No announcement has been made regarding Scott’s availability.
[Scott had surgery on his collarbone and may miss the rest of the season. See story ]

No comments: